Thursday, December 2, 2010

A Journey Through Africa.....

It's hard to believe that it's been 2 weeks since Isaac and I flew back from Nigeria. There are so many photos and stories swirling around... It's a daunting task to try and express my thoughts and feelings.  And to be quite honest, I'm at a loss for how to even begin to process what I saw and experienced there. I know I loved it. I'm fairly confident that I heard God tell me to go. I'm 100% positive that I have no idea why. Or what to do from here. But who wants to hear about the end, when you haven't even seen the beginning?  In order to help you understand what each day entailed, I'll separate each day with a blog entry and correlating pictures. Feel free to comment and let me know what you think!

On Friday, Nov 5th, our team of 11 flew out of Cincinnati around 7:30pm. My dad works at CVG, so he hung around and waited until we took off. It was so nice to give him one more hug before we took off. It was a short flight to Detroit and after a brief layover, we were on our way to Amsterdam. They're 5 hours ahead of us, so I really don't remember what time it was... anywhere. I just remember that we got breakfast. 2 yogurts with granola, 1 quiche to spilt, 1 plastic cup of apple juice and a bottle of water. It costs us $30 American dollars. No, I did not forget the decimal.  THIRTY DOLLARS!
As you can tell, I was less than thrilled with breakfast.
(side note: this is what Isaac wakes up to every morning. Kinda makes you appreciate him more, doesn't it?)



Isaac didn't seem at all phased. I thought I was going to pass out.











After flying out of Amsterdam, we eventually landed in Abuja, the capital of Nigeria. It was pretty late on Saturday night. We were pooped out and overwhelmed with everything. When you first enter the airport, you're almost immediately overwhelmed with a particular odor. I think it's just the lack of deodrant : ) You get over it pretty quickly. There's lots of men with machine guns just milling around. This is also something you just kinda get used to.

We stayed at the Baptist Guest House in Abuja that Saturday night. This room was kinda of a big deal to me, for a couple of reasons. 1) It was the only time that Isaac and I got to stay in the same room the whole duration of the trip. 
2) We were the only room that had a mosquito net. I was so grateful for that.  
This was a concept that we would also quickly become accustomed to : )
Earth shattering information, right? It gets better, I promise. Stay tuned....

1 comment: