Thursday, July 29, 2010

The Backstory of Why I'm Going to Jos

I've been on a few mission trips in my life. Mostly in college when I had the opportunity to visit inner city Cleveland, inner city D.C. and Poland. Considering I graduated close 10 years ago, it's safe to say, it's been a while since I've been anywhere on a "mission".

So it was surprising to me when during a weekend celebration at my local church, I felt like God told me to go with the team to Jos, Nigeria. I very quickly squashed that idea and told God that if he really wanted me to go then he would have to have Kande Wilson, Director of Outward Focused Ministries at the Vineyard, tell me that I was supposed to. Ha, I had thrown out my fleece. And then about 5 minutes after the celebration ended, Kande walked up to me and told me I should go to Nigeria. Isn't Jesus just HILARIOUS?

This was was truly shocking to me, considering Africa is one of those continents that I very clearly told Jesus I wasn't interested in ever visiting. But I guess that when you purely tell your Creator, "Here am I, send me wherever", He'll take you up on that offer. Even if you're young and dumb and 18 at the time : )

No comments:

Post a Comment